3.08.2013

DIY candles + 31 days : : eight

Hey everyone!  So, lately I've been on a sort of candle kick after I bought my first candles from Bath & Body.  However, Bath & Body is so expensive!  I just couldn't justify spending $20 on one of the big candles when I could make my own for even just a few dollars cheaper.  I thought I'd share how I did that!

What you need:

- glass jars (I used some Mason jars that someone gave me this week)
- candle wax
- twine or some sort of coarse string (for the wicks)
- a few pencils

1. Start off by heating up your candle wax in a pan.  Chloe and I went to Walmart and got a couple packs of wax.  I think the brand is called ScentSationals, and we basically just sniffed all of them until we found some scents that we liked--raspberry fizz and lime margarita.  You can get 2.5 oz. for $2, so I got 8 packs.

Make sure to keep the heat on low, and don't boil the wax!  I found this out the hard way when I accidentally boiled some of the wax I had, and the candles sort of caved in after they had cooled.  So once the wax is melted, just turn off the heat.

2. While your wax is melting, get your jars and wicks ready.  The easiest way I've found to do this is to take your string and tie part of it to a pencil.  The bottom of the string should be just touching the bottom of the jar.


3. Pour in your wax!  When I was doing this one of the jars I had started making those scary noises where you think the glass is going to bust, but in the end it was okay.

I bought 8 packs of wax, so about 20 ounces, but it actually ended up being more like 28 ounces because I guess it expanded when I melted it.  So I made two extra candles!


4. Position your wicks so they're centered, and let your candles cool overnight.


5. Trim your wicks, and light 'em up!

Chloe and I had a lot of fun making these!  I think they'd make great gifts, and they're super easy.  You can save a lot making these too!  A 14.5 oz. Bath & Body candle is $20, and I was able to make approximately two of those (28 oz.) for only $16.  So I saved about $24!  Awesome. :)

March 8: Biggest pet peeve
I can never really think of these 'til after the fact, but...I think one of my biggest pet peeves if when people don't understand right away what I'm saying.  It's not their fault, of course, but I get really frustrated with them.  I also don't like when my routine doesn't go as planned.  Spontaneity kills me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These are so cute! I love candles and spend tons a year on them so this is my next DIY project! This week I've started making soaps, lotions, body washes, and body butters. I love it. It's my new hobby. I know I'm definitely saving my wallet by doing this. I'll have a post up by Monday! Clem check it out.

PrincessR said...

:like:! What a fun project!! Mom is allergic to lots of different scents, etc., so it is always hard to find a candle she can handle. This way we can make the ones she likes, their cute, and we will feel so proud to say "yes, I made it!" :D

Very neat idea. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice! I've always wanted to make my own candles with scraps of wax from old candles. Gotta be resourceful!
Found you through She Learns As She Goes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...